Yelling at Tidal Waves

My thoughts, thrown into the Internet. Some are half-formed, some are rants, all are expressions seeking release. Calling this my "mental toilet" wouldn't be the least bit inaccurate.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Monday, February 21, 2005

The news has arrived.

Lyn has been admitted into Berkeley. We're likely to leave middle to late of 3rd quarter this year. Yes, this means I've got 4-5 months before I leave sunny Singapore for 5 years.

I've gotten what I wanted - a chance to stay, work and live overseas, and without having to study either. Now that it's finally happening, I feel just a tad lost. I had not expected to leave as anything but a student. Now I have the additional responsibility of being a sole breadwinner as well - something I've not had to consider. The responsibility terrifies me.

I also know that if I don't go, I'll never grow up. I'll forever be stuck with my Singapore mindset, and living on subsidised food and rent. There, I will at least be able to find out if I can hack it, or if I've been spoilt by too much comfort.

I am reminded of a fictional creation by a good friend and mentor - Alistair Chew. In his fantasy world of Shavannar, there live a race of nordic barbarian types. A part of their culture is to wear brooches symbolising their current chosen life path. I am reminded of one in particular - Hunt-For-White-Lion, symbolising a quest for the impossible. The significance of that particular brooch is a man who recognises that the questing, not the quest, is important.

Time to hunt my white lion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|